What do compiler pioneer Frances Allen, MIT professor Arvind, and C++ developer Bjarne Stroustrup have in common?
They all hold the distinction of being IEEE Fellows.
The IEEE Grade of Fellow is conferred upon a person with an extraordinary record of accomplishments in any IEEE field of interest.
Call for IEEE Fellow Nominations – OPEN
The Fellow Nomination cycle for the Fellow class of 2022 closes on 1 March 2021.
Deadline 1 March 2021 | Apply Online
IEEE Fellow Eligibility
To be nominated as a Fellow, a recipient must:
- Have accomplishments that have contributed importantly to the advancement or application of engineering, science and technology, bringing the realization of significant value to society;
- Hold Senior Member or Life Senior Member grade at the time the nomination is submitted; and
- Have been a member in good standing in any grade for a period of five years or more preceding 1 January of the year of elevation.
Any person, including non-IEEE members, is eligible to serve as a nominator. The following are exceptions: members of the IEEE Board of Directors, members of the IEEE Fellow Committee, IEEE Society/Technical Council Fellow Evaluating Committee Chairs, members of IEEE Society/Technical Council Fellow Evaluating Committee reviewing the nomination, or IEEE Staff. Self-nomination is not permitted.
Nominators, please complete the following tasks:
- Preparing the IEEE Fellow Grade Nomination Form. See Guides below.
- Soliciting at least five, but no more than eight references capable of assessing the nominee’s contributions.
(NOTE: A reference must be an IEEE Fellow in good standing. The following individuals are ineligible to serve as IEEE Fellow references: members of the IEEE Board of Directors, members of the Fellow Committee, members of the IEEE Society/Technical Council Fellow Evaluating Committee reviewing the nomination or IEEE Staff. In addition, a nominator may not serve as a reference for a nomination he/she is submitting. Exception: References will be accepted if a reference is an IEEE Senior or Life Senior Member from Region 9, in good standing and the nominee they are serving as a reference resides in Region 9).
- There is the option of soliciting no more than three endorsements capable of supporting the nomination. Any person, including non-IEEE members, may submit an endorsement.
- Identify an IEEE Society/Technical Council whose evaluating committee will assess the nominee’s technical qualifications and contributions.
IEEE Fellows Resources
- 2021 IEEE Computer Society Fellows Committee
- IEEE Fellows Forms & Instructions
- IEEE Fellows Operations Manual (pdf)
- IEEE Fellow Directory
- Nominator Guide (pdf)
- References and Endorsers (pdf)
- Society/Technical Council Evaluations & IEEE Fellow Judges (pdf)
Meet our IEEE Fellows
Each year, dozens of outstanding IEEE Computer Society members receive the distinction of becoming an IEEE Fellow. The selection of the 2021 IEEE Fellow Class has been announced.